Do you live in Country SA and have questions about being or supporting those who identify as transgender, gender diverse or gender questioning?
SHINE SA’s Gender Connect Country SA is a FREE service that provides confidential support from peer workers with lived experience of gender diversity.
Please note this service does not provide crisis support, see crisis services at the bottom of this page.
Download Flyer: Gender Connect Country SA
Peer Support Phone Service
08 7099 5390
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
(closed on Public Holidays)
6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Who can call this service?
This service is for anyone living in Country SA but will be the most beneficial for:
- people who identify as trans, gender diverse or gender questioning
- people who are supporting those identifying as trans, gender diverse or gender questioning
- professionals working with trans, gender diverse, or gender questioning clients, students, or colleagues
- professionals who would like to learn more about working with the trans, gender diverse, and gender questioning community
This service can help if:
- you would like advice on suitable services or community groups in rural SA
- you would like to receive peer support regarding your experience of being trans, gender diverse or gender questioning
- you are unsure about your gender identity and would like to talk it through with someone who has lived experience
If you are a professional this service can help if:
- you have questions regarding referrals to practitioners
- you have questions regarding the needs of trans, gender diverse, and gender questioning clients
- you would like advice on respectful language
- you have questions about the trans, gender diverse, and gender questioning community
If your team would like to arrange an online webinar information session or receive further information about trans, gender diverse, and gender questioning healthcare and topics, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Organising a Wellbeing Check
We are able to provide a wellbeing check for any trans, gender diverse, or gender questioning person living in rural SA.
A trans, gender diverse, or gender questioning person may request to receive a call from a peer worker to check in and see how they are doing and follow up calls may also be organised as needed during the initial conversation.
A professional or another person supporting a trans, gender diverse, or gender questioning person may request a wellbeing check with the consent of the person being called.
We will require a name, phone number, and a confirmation of consent. Gender Connect Country SA will call the client between 5pm and 6pm or during service hours.
*Please let us know if the person receiving the call does not want us to leave a voice message should they not answer.
To organise a wellbeing check fill out the following form:
Organise a Wellbeing Check
In order to continue to provide a quality service, we strongly encourage you to complete our feedback form. The form will take less than 5 minutes to complete.
Gender Connect Country SA Newsletter
This newsletter will provide updates and resources for those who support or identify as trans, gender diverse and gender questioning.
If you or another person are experiencing a mental health emergency:
- phone the Mental Health Triage Service: 13 14 65 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
- attend your nearest hospital emergency department
- phone 000 (Police, Ambulance or Fire Service)
Alternative Non-Crisis ‘Out of Hours’ Services
If you or another person are seeking alternative ‘out of hours’ phone support services contact:
- QLife: 1800 184 527 (3pm to midnight) QLife is a counselling and referral service for people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and/or intersex (LGBTI)
- Lifeline: 131 114 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
- Kids Helpline (up to 25 years): 1800 551 800 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
- Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
This service is funded by Country SA Primary Health Network.
If you would like to see if you live or work within the Country SA Primary Health Network service area, please visit the Primary Health Network website here.