What is Gonorrhoea?
- May cause burning or discharge from the penis, increased vaginal discharge or severe abdominal pain, but may sometimes have no symptoms.
- Infection of the throat may follow oral sex. There are usually no symptoms, but the infection can still be transmitted.
- Infection of the rectum causes pain and anal discharge.
- Infection of the eye causes a red, painful eye.
- May also cause pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) and infertility.
- Diagnosed by urine and swab tests.
- Treated with antibiotics.
Where can I get tested?
- Make an appointment with your local doctor, health care provider, SHINE SA or Aboriginal Health service.
- Clinic 275: drop in or phone.
275 North Terrace, Adelaide (opposite the Royal Adelaide Hospital)
Tel: 8222 5075
Young South Australians aged 16-30 can access an online self-screening questionnaire and a free test for Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea without seeing a doctor. Go to the Get Checked Now website.