Enhancing Sexual Health in Country SA aims to help build capacity and skills around sexual health through education, personalised support and the provision of information/resources.
Through this program SHINE SA will:
deliver support to rural and regional health workers
raise awareness of sexual health topics within the community
This program reinforces the outcomes of the successful Building Workforce Capacity in Sexual Health Program: Country South Australia. Our current program expands on the response to the rising national rates of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), in particular chlamydia, gonorrhoea and syphilis, and the advent of new technologies in HIV prevention.
Education and training will be offered in regional areas of South Australia and will focus on addressing the current syphilis outbreak, the ongoing chlamydia epidemic and managing HIV. Other topics offered include raising awareness of long-acting contraceptives (LARCs) such as contraceptive implant and intrauterine devices.
General practitioners, nurses and/or midwives, Aboriginal Health Practitioners and Aboriginal Health Workers as well as youth and community workers in these regions are encouraged to express interest in this program.
Training and Education Opportunities
Through this program SHINE SA will provide FREE opportunities for information, resources, education and training. These opportunities can be both formal and informal depending on needs.
Webinar and case presentations
- View our Webinar recordings for health practitioners, topics including bridging cultural barriers for better sexual health services.
- View our upcoming Webinar opportunities including Understanding PrEP & PEP for Rural GPs and Managing STIs in Pregnancy for Rural GPs
Extension of educational videos and educational podcasts
- View our current Sexual Health Matters – Clinical episodes covering topics including chlamydia, IUDs, contraception and more.
- In addition to podcasts for clinicians and webinars. We also offer community-focused podcast episodes and information for general education of the community and wider workforce.
Personalised support including telephone advice
Information for health practices located in the region
Increasing access to formal certificate qualifications where relevant
Provision of sexual health resources and reference material, with cost and postage covered under the funding as negotiated
- Please email our Program Lead with your ‘wish list’ of resources in prioritised format. Many of the SHINE SA resources can be viewed in our Online Shop.
If you are interested in our training and education opportunities please fill out our Expressions of Interest form.
New: You Asked For It! – Sexual Health Education Series for Country GPs
In response to requests, SHINE SA are offering a series of FREE educational events tailored to your rural general practice.
The You Asked For It! – Sexual Health Education Series for Country GPs will be offered on the fourth Wednesday of each month between February 2021 and June 2021.
These sessions will be offered via Zoom and will be presented by Sexual Health Physician Dr Carole Khaw. Please complete this short survey to ensure the timing and topics of these sessions meet your needs.
Please fill out the below form to express interest in our Enhancing Sexual Health in Country SA program.
For further information please contact SHINE SA’s Program Lead: Edwina Jachimowicz
This program has been made possible by funding from Country SA PHN.