SHINE SA provides a range of professional development opportunities for Aboriginal Health Workers and other workers who work with Aboriginal people to increase their knowledge and skills in the area of sexual and reproductive health and relationships.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Workforce Newsletter
Our newsletter will provide updates on the latest resources, courses, and sexual health information.
COVID-19 Response – Face-to-face training has been postponed. Click here to learn more.
FReedom to Explore Sexual Health (FRESH) Course: Aboriginal Focus
The FRESH Course: Aboriginal Focus is a 2-day course for workers who wish to improve their sexual and reproductive health knowledge and address sexual and reproductive health and relationship issues within Aboriginal communities.
On completion of the FRESH course, you will:
- have an increased level of confidence working with Aboriginal communities in the area of sexual health
- have a better understanding of cultural sensitivities and how to engage around sexual health
- be able to identify the sexual health issues faced by Aboriginal people in South Australia
- be introduced to new sexual health language and communication skills to improve client/worker relationships
- develop skills to yarn with clients about their sexual health needs
- be exposed to appropriate Aboriginal sexual health resources
Tailored training is also available for this course to suit the needs of your organisation
Download flyer: FRESH Course: Aboriginal Focus
SHINE SA is able to offer training on request to individuals, organisations or groups of workers who are interested in the FReedom to Explore Sexual Health (FRESH) courses, but are unable or unsuited to attend those already scheduled. Topics regularly covered in the FRESH courses include (but are not limited to):
- Sexuality & Sexual Health
- Sex & the Law
- Gender & Power
- Sexual & Gender Diversity
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Pregnancy Options
- Consent & Sexual Violence
- Sexual Pleasure
- Sexuality & Culture
- Safer Sex
- Sexually Transmissible Infections
- Providing sexual health information to clients
For further information or to negotiate a tailored program and associated fees and charges, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1300 794 584.
Pregnancy Choices Training
This course, developed for professionals, defines and explains all the options available to people experiencing an unplanned pregnancy. It is open to nurses, midwives, doctors, counsellors, community health workers, school counsellors, youth workers, Aboriginal Health Workers, and any professional who encounters clients with unplanned pregnancy.
More information: Pregnancy Choices Training
Information and resources
A range of books, journals and DVDs relating to sexual health and relationships is available from the SHINE SA Library. SHINE SA produces a range of resources including leaflets, booklets, fact sheets, manuals and posters. To view and order these resources see the SHINE SA resources section.
2-day FRESH: Aboriginal Course: $250
FRESH Course: Aboriginal Focus
Date start: 07 May 2020
Date end: 08 May 2020
Time: 9:00am - 5:00pm
64c Woodville Road