Physical development of girls
Oestrogen circulates in the blood and triggers the start of many changes, including growth spurt, breast development, pubic hair and the increased production of oil and sweat. It also prepares girls for their first Menstrual cycle.
Girls will cope better with their menstrual cycle if they are prepared. Symptoms that may occur before a period are:
- sore breasts
- craving for particular foods
- slight swelling in the lower abdomen
Many girls will also experience period cramps (lower abdomen pain or dull ache and lower back pain) when they first get their period.
Other physical changes include:
- skin produces more oil which can cause acne
- growing physically stronger
- underarm hair
- broader hips
- growth of reproductive organs
- the hair on the legs coarsens
- vaginal secretions