Working with young people
At SHine SA we aim to:
- provide services, information and programs which support the health, wellbeing and safety of young people and enable informed decision making
- develop partnerships with health, education and community services to strengthen the reach of services, programs and information to young people
- strengthen youth participation and the role of the Youth Action Teams within SHine SA
Youth Action Teams
SHine SA primarily works with young people through its Youth Action Teams (Y@). Y@ members work as a team and are involved in:
- working with SHine SA to review, improve, promote and develop pamphlets, website design and content, resources, policy, services and events
- identifying new ideas for marketing and promoting SHine SA to young people
- participating in health promotion events, such as
- Sexual Health Awareness Week
- National Youth Week
- multicultural festivals
- school expos
- being on interview panels for selecting and recruiting new SHine SA employees
- attending and presenting at conferences
- consulting with external services in relation to youth services, events, issues and resources
- participating in monthly Y@ meetings
- attending training programs including public speaking and health promotion
Y@s provide opportunities for young people to:
- work with other young people
- work as a team
- develop leadership skills and qualities
- gain more knowledge about youth issues
For further information see SHine SA's Youth Action Teams.
SHine SA is committed to training and supporting young people to work alongside their peers in the community. SHine SA achieves this by engaging with young people using a youth participation / peer education model. This model encourages young people to learn new skills and develop themselves so they are confident to present information/education sessions to their peers within a range of community settings.
Information and resources
A range of resources on sexual health and relationships for young people is available from the SHine SA Library.
SHine SA produces a range of resources including leaflets, booklets, fact sheets, manuals and posters. To view and order these resources see the SHine SA resources section.